Re: can I download libwww binaries for intel NT?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 05:54:02 -0400
To: "Lynn Kasdorf" <lkasdorf@pressroom.com>, <www-lib@w3.org>
At 00:31 9/29/98 -0400, Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
>I use Microsoft C++5. I have found what appears to be the source files, but
>no instructions on how to compile the libraries. There is a make file, but
>how do I use it? NMAKE does not understand it.

You have not done your homework. If you had read

then you would immediately have found a pointer to the installation
instructions for libwww on Unix and Windows

it also says that because providing makefiles for Windows is almost
impossible then it takes some patience.

>The W3C site is full of minutiae regarding various options, but nary a scrap
>of instruction on what files to download, and how to compile them and how to
>make a simple program.

Again, this information is also readily available at

as well as plenty of sample applications

>There is lots of discussion of the CVS source (of course it doesn't really
>say what this is- I assume it is some sort of version control system). I
>have no interest in adding to the libwww code. I just want to write a very
>simple program with it!

With that attitude I can hardly see how you can expect to get a lot back
from sending any mail to this list.

>Isn't there some way that I can simply download linkable libraries or DLL's
>without having to struggle through inscrutable documentation and compile the
>whole doggone source?

You can actually get a binary version of the libwww compiled for Win32 as
part of the Web Commander