Re: W3C library install (for linemode browser)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 10:26 9/17/98 +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> >I have confirmed that the www script is where I said, and I attach it
> >below.
>
> Ok - now I see what you mean. The script is generated by libtool and may
> not work with all OS specific make programs. The solaris make is not

	No, that is not the reason the script doesn't work. It is
	invoked by the make program, but it is run by the shell, and it
	fails because one of the if...then statements has trailing English
	text on the end of the line, which clearly should be a comment.
	Hence my patch.  I don't know which bit to patch to make the
	libtool create this correctly.

> particlarly good and for other reasons you will probably have to use GNU
> make as described in
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/INSTALL.html#Unix

	OK, didn't spot that on line 77 of the INSTALL file I got.

> > I have further confirmed that having installed www, when I
> >invoke
> >www -nocache http://www.eng.dmu.ac.uk/
> >(for any url, in fact) it WILL create the cache directory.
>
> Yes, but it stays empty, right?

	Maybe, but if someone else has used www then it complains about
	them using the cache, and that it is not available.  You then
	have to say to override this interactively, even when you are
	using the -n option (NONINTERACTIVE) in a script.  If it is
	not going to use the cache, then it should not need to do this.

> Henrik
> --
> Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
> World Wide Web Consortium