Re: W3C library install (for linemode browser)

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 05:43 14/09/1998 -0400, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> >I have found a bug in the script (possibly created by the install)
> >for the linemode browser.  This was the script "www" in the LineMode/src
> >directory.  There is a similar error in the script in ComLine/src
> >directory in the w3c file -- this is not an exact diff because I
> >accidentally forgot to save the file before changing it.
> >I am using w3c-libwww-5.1m on a Solaris 2.5.1 system.  I downloaded it
> >from the tarfile on you WWW site because I don't have CVS here.
>
> Hi Hugh,
>
> I am sorry but I don't understand what you are saying nor your patches.
> There are no www or w3c scripts - they are binary programs produced by the

	Yes, there are prior to installation, but after a gmake.
	They live in
	w3c-libwww-5.1m/LineMode/src/www , and
	w3c-libwww-5.1m/ComLine/src/w3c I think,
	but I am not at the machine right now.  They are shellscripts.
	The binaries of the same name are only produced by
	gmake install
	which requires these scripts to work correctly.  Incidentally
	the makefile will not work with Sun's make, and will only
	work the gnu make on my system.

	Furthermore, -nocache does not work for www, and I can find
	nothing to tell me how to disable caching.  It continues to
	complain about others using the cache.

> makefiles as described in
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/INSTALL.html
>
> Have you any problems compiling the libwww?

	The compilation goes OK, it is only the shellscripts that
	are incorrect, and also this caching problem.

> Henrik
> --
> Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
> World Wide Web Consortium