Re: Memory Cache in LineMode Browser

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:13:26 -0400
To: Steven Mak <steven@aucolinux.aucoasia.com>, www-lib@w3.org
At 07:44 8/12/98 -0400, Steven Mak wrote:
>Hello,
>
>	In the LineMode Browser, we can disable cache with
>HTCacheMode_setEnable(NO). Is this only diable disk cache? Can I disable
>the memory cache also? I don't mind how slow the browser it would be...
>Or how can I change the libwww source code to disable memory cache?

Disk cache is separate from history buffering in memory. The latter is
controlled by a hard-coded (!) number in

	http://www.w3.org/LineMode/src/GridText.c

as far as I remember. Don't set it to less than 4-5 as this may cause
problems.

>	Also, when I am using the LineMode Browser, I see that memory
>usage of that process is growing up as I navigate from one site to
>another. Even though I flush the history list and use with '-nocache'
>option, the memory usage still grows up. Is there any reason for that? I
>would like to know if there is any upper bound for the amount of memory to
>be used by the LineMode browser, or can we make a limit for that?

Not a strict limit - things like anchors and host information take up a
small amount of memory - is this a problem?

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk