Re: NT <-> Unix slow

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:02:20 +0100
To: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@toybox.cc.iastate.edu>, www-lib@w3.org
At 22:04 02/17/98 -0600, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>  I have noticed that when running Apache on NT transferring files to
>another NT machine is somewhere around 20x faster than transferring
>to a Unix machine using libwww.  Transferring between two Unix machines
>is a reasonable rate but NT to Unix is really bad.  All machines are
>on the same wire.  Is there something with libwww that it does not like
>to talk with NT servers?

Hmm, that's interesting - the difference in performance may be in the TCP
stacks as well as in libwww itself. What Unix are you running?

Also, do you have some TCP dumps of what is going on? As they are all on
the same wire, it should be easy to use tcpdump to capture the transfers.
Make sure that you are running the latest version of tcpdump - you can find
it linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/

You can for example run it as

	tcpdump -s 2000 -w /tmp/dump.tcpdump host A and host B and port X

where A and B are the two hosts and X is the port number. You have to be
root in order to capture the data, of course.

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk