Re: zlib example

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:07:14 +0100
To: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@toybox.cc.iastate.edu>, www-lib@w3.org
At 22:00 02/17/98 -0600, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>  Could someone please point me in the right direction for using www-lib
>and zlib to allow for automatic decompression of *.gz files?  An example
>would be perfect but pointers as to where to begin e.g. functions to
>look at would work as well.

libwww uses the "deflate" / "inflate" functions of the zlib library APIs.
These are at the algorithmic level identical to the gzip functions but the
latter also contains some file information such as file name, mode, etc.
Therefore, it is not immediately possible to use libwww on gz files.

However, there is a small program in

	http://www.w3.org/config/deflate.c

that can be used to generate a raw "deflate" file that libwww can use.

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk