Re:How to configure multithread libwww environment?

From: Krishna Vedati <kvedati@Rational.Com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:48:21 -0400
To: huiminz@hotmail.com
Cc: www-lib@w3.org

huimin zhou (on Wed, Jun 17/1998) writes:
  :Hi,
  :
  :I configured the library with enable-reentrant option, after make the
  :examples in Library/Examples directory do not run, instead they dump
  :core at gethostbyname_r() in HTGetHostByName() of HTDNS.c.
  :
  :Could some body tell me what I should I do to be able to use the library
  :in a multi-thread environment?
  :

Actually the library needs a little bit of work in some places for multi
threaded applications to work (because a handful of module HTNet, HTHost,
HTDNS, HTAnchor, HTChannel use static data strucutres). I've a working multi
threaded library version 5.1k ( which is not vanialla, so I can't really post
the src).  I've never encountered the above mentioned problem even when using
the library in a multithreaded app without mutlithreading the library. I
promised Henrik that I will help out in multi threading the library but
unfortunately I don't have much time these days to work on it. But soon *may be
by next weekend * I will take a stab @ and post the paches to Henrik.