Re: [Q] converting %xy hex codes

From: Rick Kwan <kenobi@NetPhonic.COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:28:51 -0700
To: www-lib@w3.org
I responded directly, but just to share the wealth, here was
what I had learned about building the library.

--Rick Kwan

jsol-is@seatimes.com wrote (at Thu Aug  7 12:46 PDT 1997):

> I've found that there is a functions I need to use in the libwww library
> for decoding escaped characters (extern char * HTUnEscape (char * str)),
> but I've been having trouble getting the library installed. Given that I
> only want this single function, is there something simpler (and easier to
> install) that I could use instead?
>
> In the event there isn't, this is the error message I wind up with:
>
> $ make
> make all-recursive
> Making all in config
> make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 77: Unexpected end of line
> seen
> Current working directory /raid/jsoltys/son/w3c-libwww-5.1b/config
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
> Current working directory /raid/jsoltys/son/w3c-libwww-5.1b
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'
>
> I'm trying to compile on Solaris 2.5.1. Any idea what's wrong?
>
> ---
> John Soltys,
> Seattle Times New Media

First, make sure you're GNU make instead of Sun's make
(/usr/ccs/bin/make).  The latter doesn't like the syntax of GNU
makefiles.  make-3.75 works really well for me on that library.
(I am still on Solaris 2.4, but that shouldn't matter...)

--Rick Kwan, NetPhonic Communications
  rick.kwan@NetPhonic.COM

----- End Included Message -----