[Q] Content length in MIME headers always right?

From: Sacha <sacha@clip.dia.fi.upm.es>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:28:50 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-lib@w3.org

Hi,

I have a question regarding content length. Sometimes when
I just fetch the header of a document I get a content length
of -1 (i.e. unset), but if I get the entire document I get
the correct content length. Can it be that the server creates
different headers depending on whether you also ask for the
document? Does this mean that the only way to get the content
length with absolute certainty is to request the whole document?

Could it be that this -1 has something to do with access
restrictions?

Cheers,

Sacha.