Re: function call when event loop is idle?

From: GunnarRønning <gunnarr@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 14:11:14 +0200
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Cc: paul-law@ix.netcom.com, www-lib@w3.org
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org> said:

> On Unix, you can register a timeout callback function to be called when
> select() times out. You can register the function to be called always - that
> is - both when loads are going on and when the Library is idle, or you can
> register it only to be called when the Library is waiting for a request.
> Unfortunately you can only register one timeout function as select() doesn't
> support more than this.

> On Windows, it uses SetTimer() and I am not sure about if the functionality
> matches - Eric?

Since I found the ASYNC interface under Windows 95 to be very buggy in
libwww, I switched to using select and the use of the timeout interface in
library to handle user events. This worked just fine, both under Win95 and
Unix. And it's a bit more portable than registering X connection sockets
with the library...

	Gunnar