Re: function call when event loop is idle?

Paul Law writes:

> Does anyone know of a simple way to destinate a function (implemented
> by the client application) to be called when the event loop is idle?
> For example, the client might want to do some housekeeping tasks
> and/or fetch some documents from the net (not initiated by the user
> or the result of previous fetches) when the event loop has no
> outstanding user event or active socket.

On Unix, you can register a timeout callback function to be called when
select() times out. You can register the function to be called always - that
is - both when loads are going on and when the Library is idle, or you can
register it only to be called when the Library is waiting for a request.
Unfortunately you can only register one timeout function as select() doesn't
support more than this.

On Windows, it uses SetTimer() and I am not sure about if the functionality
matches - Eric?

> In case it does matter, I work on Windows NT platform.

It shouldn't but who knows ;-?