Re: POSTing a binary file to a CGI-script.

From: Aleksander Slominski <aztoruns@grif.grif.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 15:16:48 +0200
To: www-lib@www10.w3.org
In general it is almost no assumption about data sent in entity body
of request. BUT when you send it with POST it is used Content-Type:
x-www-url-encoded. Data sent conforming this format is expected to
be text (all which is not explictly allowed i.e alphanumeric plus some
punctation characters) should be encoded to form %hh. Which is hex
equivallent of restricted character.

The solution as far as I see is to use another Content-Type: it will
work very similar to PUT method in this way. Of course CGI script
should be concious of another content as also should be
submitted conten-length to simplify receiving data in CGI script.
When you looked at libwww so I suppose you are developing another tool
which will make it. In this case it should not be hard.
I made sth very similar but for older version of libwww which completely
does not supported POST!

Alek

   Aleksander Slominski,  aztoruns@pekin.grif.fr (Paryz).
    Adres e-mail w Polsce: aztoruns@mat.uni.torun.pl