Re: Jigsaw as a caching proxy server

On Fri, 18 May 2007, David Smiley wrote:

> I am trying to use Jigsaw as a caching proxy server.
> I followed the instructions here:
> http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/User/proxy.html
> I got it working.  However, it seems to not be doing any caching (from wire
> traffic observations), but it's possible I'm wrong.  Do I need to add the
> "CacheFilter" or some other such component; and basically how is that done?

Yes the CacheFilter needs to be added. The fastest way is to edit
"http-server.props" and put the following lines:
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.filters=org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheFilter
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.size=<what you want in bytes>
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.proxy.debug=false
See
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/Reference/org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheFilter.html

> Might anyone recommend an alternative Java based caching proxy server (not
> necessarily "production" grade but suitable for experimentation)?  What's
> drawn me to Jigsaw is that it's Java and that it adheres to the HTTP caching
> related specs well (from my observations of the source).

You can try Rabbit at http://rabbit-proxy.sourceforge.net/
Cheers,

         ~~Yves