unauthenticated GET, authenticated PUT how to?

From: Enrico Spinielli <Enrico.Spinielli@marconi.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:37:48 +0200
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

Hi all,
I have successfully configured jigsaw in order to allow PUTs in my working area.
This is great but I would like to restrict who can do PUTs
without having to force him/her to authenticate for accessing that realm.

Can anyone point me in the righ direction? Or to the right manual page?
Or am I trying to do something impossible?

Thanks in advance
Enrico