Client-Side Posts [Was: Posting a Form using Jigsaw]

Dear Mr. Edison Aspert,

  Here is code to help you do Client-Side Posts with jigsaw:

        request = manager.createRequest();
	request.setMethod("POST");
	host = "http://foo.bar.etc";
	request.setURL(new URL(host.concat("/fcgi-bin/flogn")));
	String postdata = "userid=foo&password=bar";
	MimeType mt = new MimeType("application/" + "x-www-form-urlencoded");
	request.setContentType(mt);
	request.setOutputStream(new StringBufferInputStream(postdata));
	request.setContentLength(postdata.length());
	reply = manager.runRequest(request);

Please note, that the format of String postdata will vary, depending on the
field "name[s]" of the CGI that your posting to.  Furthermore, I have
manually URL encoded the information in the String postdata.  I believe that
you code alternatively use Base64Encoder.processString() to do this
automatically.  Finally, you may have to switch the MimeType.

If you have not read the HTTP/1.1 Specification, a.k.a. RFC 2616,
(http://www.w3.org/Protocols/), I strongly recommend that you do so.  I
believe that RFC 2616 is very usefully as Jigsaw documentation.

        Truly yours,
        John Philip Anderson.