Handling Client-Side Redirection [Was: Problem in downloading a file]

From: John Philip Anderson <jpanderson_215@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:06:03 -0000
To: aspertedison@yahoo.com
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Dear Mr. Edison Aspert,

	I am responding to your request for Jigsaw help.  I believe that your
problem lies in the realm of "Handling Client-Side Redirects."

	To begin, I tried accessing the URL in question (http://www.cel.com/) with
a web browser (IE5.5).  The browser was redirected to :

So, I believe that the 302/"Moved Temporarily" message that you is actually

	 Here is a piece of code that I use to Handle Client-Side Redirects:

		while(reply.getStatus() == 302){
		    String redirectURL = reply.getLocation();
		    request = manager.createRequest();
		    request.setURL(new URL(redirectURL));
		    reply = manager.runRequest(request);

	However, this does not all Handling Client-Side Redirects.  Sometimes,
reply.getLocation() holds a String that looks like "/foo/bar" or "?foobar",
as opposed to "http://foo.bar.etc"  As such, you may have to use
request.getHost() and "cut and paste" some of these URL Strings to properly
follow the redirections.  (I am working on such code which I hope to
implement as a Jigsaw filter, like CookieFilter, but it is not done yet).

	I hope that this helps you.

	Truly yours,
	John Philip Anderson
	Michigan, USA