Re: Client side use of Basic Authentication, proxy.

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:38:26 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Steven Camhi <scamhi@yahoo.com>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Steven Camhi wrote:

> A weird question. Sitting behind a firewall
> which requires Basic authentication and a proxy
> to be set (I know, its wrong..), I could never
> get a java (jdk1.2) gui going with the plain
> URL and HttpURLConnection stuff.
>
> Voila, the jigsaw stuff works like a charm!
> However, if I want to use a JEditorPane component
> in a mini browser environment, it works with URL
> objects which are extremely dumb wrt proxies and
> authorizations. Is it possible to use the JEditorPane
> with the jigsaw stuff?

If you start your application using
java
-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs="org.w3c.www.protocol|sun.net.www.protocol"

it should use Jigsaw classes (compatible with URLConnection) as its HTTP
stack. To use the proxy, use -DproxyHost=myhost -DproxyPort=myport
-DproxySet=true.
Another option is to use directly the internal API, see
org.w3c.jigsaw.proxy.ForwardFrame for a little example.
Hope this helps,