Re: Something is using all CPU-time

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:18:27 +0100 (MET)
To: Anders Meyer <Anders_Meyer@pol.dk>
On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Anders Meyer wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have got a problem with my system. I am running jigsaw - the only
> application running is a servlet. When we have a heavi load the the java
> process suddenly starts to use a lot of CPU time. Everything is running
> fine - but slow!
>
> I made some thead dumps - it revealed 2 threads (in suspended mode) "stuck"
> in the servlet. Has anyone got i good idea how to solve this?
> The threads stuck looks similar to this:
>
>       java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Compiled Code)
>         java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Compiled Code)
>         java.io.InputStreamReader.fill(Compiled Code)
>         java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Compiled Code)
>         java.io.BufferedReader.fill(Compiled Code)
>         java.io.BufferedReader.read(Compiled Code)
>         com.Polinfo.Polinfo.sendBrsCmd(Compiled Code)
>
> Could this be a problem running jdk 1.1.6 on AIX?

You can add timeouts if it is related to socket streams, you will be
notified then if there is a problem on the socket (stuck connection).
Also check that you detect well the end of connection (-1 on the stream or
IO error), then, verify that the jdk itself is not the culprit (ie: bad
detection of EOF in some cases)
Hope this helps