Re: How best to index large directory trees in Jigsaw?

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:21:56 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Anthony B. Coates, ESL +61 2 9373 7972" <tony.coates@reuters.com>
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Anthony B. Coates, ESL +61 2 9373 7972 wrote:

> I have been trying to index the JDK 1.2 document tree (as a PassDirectory) in
> Jigsaw 2.0.2, and it seems to partially hang when dealing with so many
> documents.  By "partially" hang I mean that the admin interface is no longer
> able to communicate with the server process, though the server still honours
> requests for Web pages.
>
> Does anybody have any tricks for indexing large numbers of documents?  Thanks
> very much in advance,

If you have a large number of documents in a container, the admin protocol
will get the list then do one request per item to get infos on it, it will
take some time :) Not that there was some bug fixes in the connection
management (client side) and that may address your problem (see
http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes/ ).
If the hanging can be reproduce, can you mail us a stack trace?
Regards,

> PS Why is the "Reply-To" address for the list messages set to
>    "www-jigsaw-request"?  Doesn't that cause confusion?  Or is
>    it just my e-mail client that reports it that way?

Your client must be using the Sender: field to fill its Reply-To :)