Re: Newbie's question...

Jerry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just discovered Jigsaw and like the product very much. I have
> now setup my own web server using Jigsaw. Some comments
> and questions.
>
> 1) The installation is easy but it is quite difficult to understand the
> documentation, especially the part on resources, frames,
> realm, etc. Is there any other alternate documentation which is
> easier for beginner like me to digest?

No :( we don't have enought time for documentation. We're only two people
working on Jigsaw. But, we plan to have someone else working on the
documentation with a user point of view.

> 2) I tried changing the server hostname using the new admin
> program and receive the following error. What does it mean?
>
> org.w3c.tools.resources.IllegalAttributeAccess: Illegal attribute value jerry
> r org.w3c.jigsaw.host
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.config.PropertySet.setValue(PropertySet.java:85)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.admin.BrokerFrame.remoteSetValues(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.admin.BrokerFrame.extended(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.frames.HTTPFrame.perform(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.tools.resources.FramedResource.performFrames(Compiled Code
>         at org.w3c.tools.resources.FramedResource.perform(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.admin.AdminServer.perform(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.processRequest(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.startConnection(Compiled Code)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.socket.SocketClient.run(SocketClient.java:114)
>         at org.w3c.util.CachedThread.run(Compiled Code)

This couldn't be changed while the server is running, you should modify the
value
in the http-server.props file (in Jigsaw/config/).
Add something like
org.w3c.jigsaw.host=localhost

> 3) Each time I change the admin password to a new one, and exit the admin
> application, the admin password is changed back to the default 'admin'. What
> did I do wrong?

May be you forgot to commit your changes?

Regards, Benoit.

                      World Wide Web Consortium   (W3C)
                    Architecture domain - Jigsaw Engineer