Re: Cookies Problem

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Cedric Vieau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Jigsaw 2.0.2 configured as a Proxy on SunOS 5.6 and jdk1.2fcs
>
> When a want to look at the page :
> http://www.multimania.com/cgi-bin/showpub?/cinemaniaques/cinema.htm
>
> the server loop trying to set a cookie.
>
> You can see this problem using netscape 4.51 with the
> option 'Warn me before accepting cookies' on.
> (the problem happens with ie5 too)
>
> Perhaps it is a Jigsaw bug, or more probably a bad configuration.

According to the trace, it seems that the cookie is set on multimania.fr,
then on multimania.com and they access multimania.net and they do an ugly
redirect every second in an HTML page.
The only cached page is http://ultra.multimania.net/pub/perso.html
GET /pub/perso.html HTTP/1.1
Host: ultra.multimania.net

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:47:43 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.2 (Unix)
set-cookie: RMID=8a600a033732b6c0; expires=Friday, 31-Dec-99 23:59:59 GMT;
path=/; domain=.multimania.fr
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

This page have links inside to banners.
Clearly, their configuration is wrong, as this page should at have a
Cache-Control: no-cache in the headers sent back, to avoid caching.
And as the GET on this ad page is not using any cookie, it is difficult to
detect that the cached entry should not be used :)
Unless we drop every reply with a Set-Cookie: inside, but it would be far
too hackish.