Re: servlet directory outside of Jigsaw tree?

From: Benoit Mahe <Benoit.Mahe@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:42:15 +0200
To: Michael Stacey <Michael@lexi.com>
CC: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Michael Stacey wrote:

> I have a couple of questions about housing servlets outside the
> Jigsaw\WWW tree.  We have a servlet (say Foo.class) that is in
> its own directory (C:\Foo) along with the jar'ed up support classes
> (C:\Foo\foo.jar).
>
> 1. How does one configure the server to recognize this?  I tried
>    following the available docs and got nowhere.

First, foo.jar MUST be in your CLASSPATH (or you can extract its content
and put it in a servlet directory). Then you can put Foo.class in the servlet
directory, but it seems that you don't want to move it. So, you can add the
C:\Foo directory in your CLASSPATH, and create manually a ServletWrapper
in the servlet directory.

> 2. Is it possible to redirect a request to a servlet using something
>     like a PassDirectory?  ie: is it possible to map requests like
>         "http://hostname/Foo" to "http://hostmname:port/servlet/Foo"?

A PassDirectory is not used for redirect, it act like a symbolic link (Unix
like).
There is two kind of redirection, internal redirection and redirection via HTTP.

The first one need a RedirecterFrame [1], the second one a RelocateFrame [2].
For each frame, create a FramedResource called Foo, add the frame and set
the target field as the Foo servlet URL.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/Reference/org.w3c.jigsaw.frames.RedirecterFrame.html

[2]
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/Reference/org.w3c.jigsaw.frames.RelocateFrame.html

> PS: is there any documentation that matches the new version of JigAdmin?

Not yet, but the graphical interface of the old and the new JigAdmin are not
so different.

Regards, Benoit.

                      World Wide Web Consortium   (W3C)
                    Architecture domain - Jigsaw Engineer