Re: Refreshing SSI

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:59:10 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Augusto Sellhorn <asellhor@ccd.harris.com>
cc: jigsaw <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Augusto Sellhorn wrote:

> My SSI pages work just great under Netscape when I use the
> "no-cache" Pragma. I just have it in the head of the page and it works
> fine.
>
> Unfortunately , IE is givin me problems (again!). It seems like IE
> ignores the no-cache, expires, etc META tags that you use and
> caches my .shtml pages. I don't know what MS was thinking when
> ignoring these META tags, how can use dynamic pages ?!?!?!?
>
> Anyways ...
>
> Anybody know of a good way around this ?

You should set the max age on the SSIFrame to 0
It will end up in the reply:
Cache-Control: max-age=0
And the browser won't cache it.

> It there a way in Jigsaw to report a different date everytime a .shtml
> page is requested? Since these pages are dynamic, it might make a little
> sense no ?

Well, it depends, some SSI should be cached for a long time, some other
not, it is up to you to decide on the cache time.
Note that an If-Modified-Since directive when present will be checked
against all segments, to be cache friendly :)