[off-topic] Speed issues in java servers

From: Andrew Cooke <andrew@intertrader.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:04:27 -0500 (EST)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

Hi,

Apologies that this is off-topic, but I hope that people on this
list may be able to give useful advice.

In Java-based servers the main bottleneck, when serving images,
seems to be copying the data into a byte array (reading from the
socket, although this maybe masked by streams etc) and then
copying it out again.  Is this true for Jigsaw, or is there a
clever way of avoiding this?  I have been looking through the
source and can't find anything unusual.  Has anyone any advice
on how this should be done most efficiently?  Has anyone attempted
to do this in C for Jigsaw, for example?

Any comments would be appreciated, and apologies again for the
rather loose connection to this list.

Cheers,
Andrew