using proxy as a "semantic" router

From: Maximilian Ott <max@ccrl.nj.nec.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:19:01 -0500 (EST)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

For an experiment I would like to use different low level protocols
(TCP-like) for different media documents (TCP for HTML, our own
special for MPEG).

As I don't want to touch the browser, I was thinking of putting a proxy
server on the client machine and by looking at the URL I can choose
different mechanisms for communicating with the server (which I
control as well).

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the documentation. Could anyone out there give me
a few hints on how I could go about that. Someone may have even done
something along those lines.

Thanks a lot,

-max

Max Ott                              max@ccrl.nj.nec.com
C&C Research Labs, NEC USA           (609)951-2469          If it ain't broke,
Princeton, NJ, 08540 USA                  it doesn't have enough features yet.