Re: HttpManager & HttpRequests

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Paul Pazandak wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
> 1) What is the policy for instantiating new HttpManagers?
>
>    The docs seem very vague about this. It appears that an
>    HttpManager can handle multiple simultaneous connections,
>    so when and why would a new one be instantiated?  In the
>    general operation of a proxy will there usually be only
>    one HttpManager for the life of the proxy?

There is no reason to instantiate a new one. The manager is in charge of
maintaining the physical connections and share then with all the clients.
So there is only one such manager started.

> 2) How does one tell when a request is part of another request?
>
>    When a page is loaded, multiple objects may be retrieved.
>    So, one could view a request as a composite request, containing
>    several child requests. Is it possible to determine by inspecting
>    a request/reply whether it is the composite request or one of
>    the children? We'd also like to be able to differentiate (within
>    a filter) completely independent requests (e.g. submitted by different
>    browser windows).

The only way to have this information is to inspect the Referer header of
a request. If the browser is kind enough to fill it! Otherwise, as HTTP
is stateless, there are no way to detect this.

> Thanks!
>
> Paul.
> --

> Paul Pazandak                                      pazandak@objs.com
> Object Services and Consulting, Inc.             http://www.objs.com
> Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420-5409                       612-881-6498

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw