Possibly weird question regarding proxy setup

From: Orjan Reinholdsen <orjan@spinne.ip.lu>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:05:18 +0000
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org

I have a fairly weird question for you Jigsaw experts!

Is it possible to set up Jigsaw in such a way that it acts as
a kind of half-proxy for another (hidden) WWW server? With half
proxy I mean that:

 1) The user should not set up Jigsaw as a "normal" proxy in his browser
    configuration. In stead, from the client point of view, it will look
    like Jigsaw is the real server accessed.

 2) The real server runs behind Jigsaw and will get all its request
    forwarded, in a normal proxy manner, from Jigsaw. It should only
    accept request from Jigsaw, and nowhere else.

So if a client requests

it would first go to Jigsaw that in turn goes to its backend hidden
server at

and fetches and relays the response back to the client.

The reason for this is A) I want to impelemnt some ACL stuff
on the Jigsaw server, before the request is served (as a filter).
and B) I would like to offer to our clients that they don't have
to switch WWW server. So I just put Jigsaw in front of their server.

So what do you say? Possible or not?

Warm regards,

Orjan Reinholdsen
Tel    +352 295759 3302