Re: jigsaw quick start for Unix

From: Ross Golder <rossg@cpd.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:21:33 +0100
To: "John D. Ramsdell" <ramsdell@linus.mitre.org>
CC: www-jigsaw@w3.org
John D. Ramsdell wrote:

> Thank you for make Jigsaw available.  I just grabbed a copy of Jigsaw
> 1.0 beta1 as a gzipped tar file via FTP.  I noticed there are several
> *.p files at top-level in the distribution.  They appear to be
> misplaced.

No. There is a problem when untarring the distribution with GNU tar. I'm not
sure _why_ GNU tar behaves like this, but it caused me problems when using
the JigAdmin GUI administration application. I'm lucky enough to have a Sun,
so I deleted my installation and reinstalled, untarring with Solaris's tar,
and have not suffered any further anomalies since.

As a side note, I would guess that a large proportion of Jigsaw users are
using GNU tar, as it's the only tar that comes with many Linux distributions
(correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know of a workaround for Linux-only
users? (I'm going to install on my machine at home)

--
Ross Golder
Technical Dept