Socket problem with Jigsaw

From: Frederic Crozat ISIMA <crozat@opgc16.univ-bpclermont.fr>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 18:21:30 +0200
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,
it's me again

I still have some problems with beta1 (I think those problems were
present in alpha5) concerning socket :

I encounter very often "socket Exception" like this one in the errlog
client-10(socket-clients:10): caught ClientException:
[w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException] Socket closed

and with beta 1, it occurs at
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:169)
       at java.net.Socket.setTcpNoDelay(Socket.java:311)
       at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.run(httpd.java)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
I've tried to comment the setTcpDelay but the errlog entry appears
sometimes. I was thinking it could be related to Netscape 3.0 but it
also have this problem with a java application wich uses Jigsaw client
side API (and also with Jigadm). When this error is encountered, the
socket is supposed to be closed but if I check with netstat, it's still
open !

Another big problem is that when some clients are still connected to
Jigsaw (in a keepalive idleconnection), when I try to stop the server,
it closes its server socket but it doesn't stop itself. I've used the
debug feature of SocketClientFactory to trace the problem and it seems
that Jigsaw make a join() on each client socket after killing them but
it wait on join on client sockets still open (by a keepalive client,
they still appear as open in netstat).
It seems that Jigsaw is waiting for the socket to close themselves
but they don't !

I don't have this problem when I disabled the keepalive feature (off
course !!).

Any ideas ?

Frederic Crozat
crozat@opgc.univ-bpclermont.fr