HTML Parsing

From: AUDEN GJ <Auden-GJ@ulst.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:30:00 GMT
To: WWW-JIGSAW@w3.org
Hi, I am a final year computer science student at college in
N.Ireland.
For my final year project I have been given HTML Parsing.
The objective is to use the program in conjunction with a site spider
to gather higher level abstract information from the HTML pages.
Using either VB or Perl.

I am not sure what HTML Parsing involves. Or what language would be
best suitable.
I would be grateful if you could give me any help on this.

Thank You,
Gervase Auden
Magee College,
DERRY.