Troubles with proxy & root.

Peter Mcilroy writes:
 > I ran into two troubles today.
 > Number one:
 > I attempted the following (naive!) sequence:
 >
 > I had a threadstat attribute of root, called
 > ThreadStat
 > Since the ThreadStat wanted to be called "threads"
 > I modified the properties name field for this object.
 > Then I went back to the root menu and selected "root"
 > and "update" -- this usually works on directory resource
 > objects to refresh the names of the objects -- I hoped.
 >
 > The result (and this happened before for some similar problem)
 > is that the entire Admin/Editor (http://xxx:8001/Admin)
 > structure is destroyed, even after reboot.  I get the following
 > error message:
 >
 > Invalid URL
 >   The URL http://athos.rutgers.edu:8001/Admin/Editor
 > that you requested is not available on that server.
 >
 > Is this a recoverable problem?  (can I recover my original
 > configuration without starting from scratch?)

I am not sure I underatns what you did, but you probably a) assigned
'root' an invalid value, or worse, b) didn't set the followup on the
proxy properly.

If a) you can recover by manually editing config/http-server.props, if
b) edit the config file to and set 'root' to "root" your server will
stop working as a proxy, but it will give you back the /Admin stuff so
that you can repair any damages.

 > Number two:
 > All this started when the Jigsaw proxy started sending broken copies of
 > some (previously cached) documents.  For some addresses, I was
 > getting "document contains no data" errors.  I tried setting the
 > cache size to 0,  and deleting all cache files--to no avail.
 > (This problem did go away on reboot.)

That's a know bug in 1.0alpha5, it is now fixed.

 > The same files remained  broken.  Is there a preferred way to
 > flush the cache?

rm config/cache/*

:-)

Anselm.