getNextComponent and peekNextComponent

From: <Joel.Crisp@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:06:33 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi

It looks to me as if there is some confusion as the behaviour of
resources implementing "lookup" on failure - some seem to consume the
path with getNextComponent -then if they have been called from a de
rived class via super and fail, the derived class no longer has access
to the relevent information. StoreContainer seems to be one of the
offenders.

This is not necessarily incorrect, however if this is the behaviour it
should be documented so that people know that they must copy the
lookupstate.

Personally, I believe that changing getNextComponent to
peekNextComponent would be more efficent - note that you have to
consume the path if there is a resource found.

Hmmm. Having said that, if a resource further down the line doesn't
find it, the path is consumed anyway. Maybe the whole method needs a
re-think and/or some better documentation on the intended behaviour.

Joel
--
Joel.Crisp@bris.ac.uk | ets-webmaster@bris.ac.uk  | "I remember Babylon" -
Software Engineer, Institute for Learning and     |        Arthur C Clarke