Registering an extension for text files that should be downloaded

From: Antoine Bertier <bertier@world-net.sct.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:32:24 +0200
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
How do I configure a new extension so that the the "save to disk" dialog
appears when you access it instead of displaying the content in the browser ?

I added extensions .exe and .zip with FileResource and a type of
application/octet-stream
and it works fine. However when I do this with a text file (.patch in fact)
I systematically
get the content of the patch file displayed (which is definitely not what I
intend).

Since I do not really what to enter for the type and encoding, I suspect I
am missing
something here... but what ?

Antoine BERTIER
bertier@world-net.sct.fr