Re:Registering an extension for text files that should be downloaded

At 5:32 AM +1000 23/10/96, Antoine Bertier wrote:
>How do I configure a new extension so that the the "save to disk" dialog
>appears when you access it instead of displaying the content in the browser ?

This is mostly the client issue.

>I added extensions .exe and .zip with FileResource and a type of
>application/octet-stream
>and it works fine. However when I do this with a text file (.patch in fact)
>I systematically
>get the content of the patch file displayed (which is definitely not what I
>intend).

If you set the mime type for .patch extension as text/plain  then client
would treat it as a text file that
should be displayed. Try setting text/plain for .html file and you will see
what I mean.

Also, to prevent asking every time what you want to do with a file, client
will remember what option you chose first time and do the same thing ever
after. Text/Plain might have 'display' action hardcoded in or it might be
configureable, but it is not much help to you.

>Since I do not really what to enter for the type and encoding, I suspect I
>am missing
>something here... but what ?

Your only solution is most probably creating new mime type and let client
handle it. If those .patch files are generic, you can probably can give it
type text/x-patch or if it is for some application then
application/x-AppName would be appropriate.

Don't worry about polluting the namespace much, because subtypes (and
types?) that start with x- are considered experimental and not getting in
conflicts with other names.

Hope it helps,
     Alex.
Ps. On my Mac, I have x-stuffit, x-tar, x-excel, msword(???) and many
others, which might be a bit annoying, but they are not conflicting with
each other, so it is Ok.

alex@access.com.au