Re: Life span of a resource

From: Mike Mills <mmills@monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 14:58:03 -0400
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Cc: mmills@shell.monmouth.com
Hi,

I wanted to follow up on this topic:

> > 2. If i use a static variable in a resource, can I be
> > sure that it stays there untill jigsaw shuts down?
>
>No, usually it will (because Jigsaw doesn't often think it 's getting
>low of memory), but you should not assume this will be true
>
> > 3. Is there a method in the resource that's
> > being called when jigsaw shuts down (for resource cleanup)?
> > finalize() does the job, but only when
> > garbage is collected ...

What should one do of they require some static variable(s) on the server?
These may be contained in the
Resource class itself OR may be shared among many resources. Can I force
resources to be dumped so I can
test my server side programs? Is there a way to see what resources are
currently "active"?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope that these are relevant to others as well.

Mike