Replacing Resources in place (was Re:How to add UserDirs in a generic manner ?)

From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <alex@access.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:39:07 +1000
To: Anselm Baird-Smith <abaird@w3.org>
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
At 4:40 PM 3/9/96, Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:
>Hi Christian,
>
>This is not part of std Jigsaw, but it could probably be added as a
>new resource. The problem is how to access the password file from
>Java...
>
>One way of dealing with it would be to have a generic user directory,
>to which you add the user-name. Most systems are configured to have
>users home directory in, say, /users/foo.
>
>The new (subclass of directory resource), would act as a
>PassDirectory: when getting /~joe, it would either:

That would require replacing the root DirectoryResource with a different
Resource. Currently, there is no way to do that without deleting the whole
structure (well, there is but it is a bug that will be fixed...).

So, the question is: would it be possible to replace a resource with a
child resource 'in place' without removing and rebuilding the content? Eg.
If I wanted to replace root DirectoryResource with
TildaTakingDirectoryResource, I would just be able to replace it and would
not have to rebuild the content of the site.
I guess it should be easier to do with new model .jigidx files, because it
uses associative arrays, but is it possible at all?

Alex

alex@access.com.au