st-xx.bak

From: Anselm Baird_Smith <abaird@www43.inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:24:48 +0100 (MET)
To: Dave Makower <davemak@pencom.com>
Dave Makower writes:
 > When I create new resources, I often see the following error upon getting
 > /Admin/Properties?checkpoint:
 >
 >     unable to rename C:\Jigsaw\Jigsaw\config\stores\st-10 to
 >        C:\Jigsaw\Jigsaw\config\stores\st-10.bak
 >
 > Apparently, the .bak files stick around when it should be deleted.  My
 > suspicion is that it's my fault this is happening -- I'm bypassing the
 > indexer in creating my resources, and using non-extensible
 > DirectoryResources so that I can maintain control.  Other than that, my
 > VirtualContainerResources are largely equivalent to DirectoryResources
 > (they use the same resource store mechanism, etc.).
 >
 > Any clues as to where I might be screwing up?

This is a bug in Java (I didn't had time to look if 1.1 fixes it). The
problem is that File:renameTo requires that you delete the target (if
it exists) on Windows, but not on Unix. I think I fixed most the calls
to File:renameTo, but would be glad to fix the ones I did miss. Do you
have a stack trace ?