Java NET.DLL implementation

From: Scott Jewell <jewellsc@pop.mts.kpnw.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 17:42:24 -0800
To: ssl-users@mincom.oz.au
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hi,

I've recently completed some work on replacing the sockets routines
within the NET.DLL supplied with Java with routines utilizing SSLeay.  I
thought I'd see if there was any interest in making the routines
available under the SSLapps umbrella.  These routines allow any Java
program to communicate using SSL without modification.

The implementation does require a single line modification to the Java
source code in order to load the new DLL prior to the load of NET.DLL.
Perhaps if someone knows how to build a new DLL from existing DLLs (if
that's legal) we'd be able to eliminate the need to modify Java at all.

Right now I'm basically just interested in determining the interest
level as well as whether or not this has been or is being done somewhere
else.  I hope what I'm suggesting isn't illegal.  I wouldn't think so
since I wouldn't be distributing any encryption stuff or any part of
SSLeay.  If anyone knows differently, please let me know!

I've CC'd the Jigsaw mailing list as well since I figured there might be
some interest over there as well.  I hope this isn't against some sort
of mailing list etiquette.

Thanks for any input.

Scott Jewell
jewellsc@pop.mts.kpnw.org