Re: Multiple Jigsaw's as user processes

From: Harco de Hilster <harcoh@caos.kun.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:20:02 +0100
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
>  > The problem I assume is write permission. I would like to start Jigsaw
>  > without
>  > the need for writing in the server directories. That would mean:
>  >
>  > - no logging
>  > - no caching to disk
>  > - no /Admin possibilities
>  > - etc.
>  >
>  > Possible?
>
> Yes, not recommeneded through:
>
> Jigsaw no longer write config files in the directory it servers,
> instead everything is written in Jigsaw/config or Jigsaw/logs
> directories
>
> a) Check the -space command line flag (it hasn't been teste for some
>    time, you may have surprised, let me know), this will allow you to
>    run Jigsaw serving something else the Jigsaw/WWW
> b) no caching to disk: not sure what you mean here ?
> c) no /Admin: you can always remove the /Admin by using /Admin/Editor,
>    be aware that in 99% of the cases this will lead to troubles
>
> Anselm.

I would like to serve the same documents to all the 'different'
instances of Jigsaw in a read-only mode. The problem is that
'SimpleResourceStore.java' opens the stores with:

"SimpleResourceStore.java" line 178 of 614
        RandomAccessFile fd = new RandomAccessFile(repository, "rw") ;

If I change that to:
        RandomAccessFile fd = new RandomAccessFile(repository, "r") ;

I get the behaviour I want. Users without write access to
Jigsaw/Jigsaw/config
can start Jigsaw but they cannot e.g. save the properties, but I with rw
access
can.

I think there is no need for "rw" access in 'loadResource'.

Regards,

Harco

--
Harco de Hilster  CAOS/CAMM Center       Phone:  +31(0)24-3653369