Re:Design questions for future filter model.

At 1:13 AM 20/8/96, Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:
>Alexandre Rafalovitch writes:
<snip>
> > It would be great if filters could register their requirements on filters
> > they are executed before and after.
> > Using any other not so flexible system (eg. Alphabetical) would bring
> > problems. (as people with Machintoshes know too well :-{ )
<snip>
>It should be easy, with the new filter design to have a resource
>maintain its *own* set of contraints on filter execution, since in the
>new design, it is up to the resource to ultimatley decide in what
>orders  the filters are to be called at perform time (again, for
>lookup, you will not be able to affect the above order).

I cannot see how this solve a situation I had in mind. What I am refering
to is: I create a new filter which I know should be executed before filter
A, but after filter B. The filter is written much later then any resource
serving my files. So, how would I make resources know in which order to
execute my filter? Would I have to go and edit each resource? Would they
have some generic algorithms built in? I just don't see how it would
happen.

Maybe I don't understand something and I can wait until release to see how
it works, but I felt that a bit more flexibility in filter execution order
would be only for the advantage without bringing any harm(?).

With all due respect,
      Alex.

--------| I feel as confused as a baby in a topless bar. |--------