Re: Less puzzled about the indexer

From: Paul Mavis <paul_mavis@MENTORG.COM>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 17:25:13 +0100
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hello again Anselm,

There's good news! I decided that my problems may have resulted from too much tweaking
of the configs, so I stopped the server, deleted all the .jigidx files under the WWW
directory. Then I reverted back to the .jigidx files from your distribution archives, oh
and I also put the original config directory back.

Thus, starting from a working configuration, I did some minimal tweaks to the server
properties (port number, and hostname). Then I modified the WWW directory template as
you suggested (simply making the index value equal index.html). I did find that I had to
edit the root resource manually to tell it to index from index.html.

The only other curious thing was that from then on, I found that I had to explicitly
visit each <sub-directory>/index.html location before the directory resource itself
defaulted to using it. Once done everything works fine, and it even persists over server
restarts (and the <sub-directory/.jigidx files are now in place too)!! ;-)

I think there were too many tweaks to the config previously for me to even guess where
the problem lay. But if I stumble over it again I'll let you know......

Thanks again,

Paul