Applet POST --> Jigsaw echo Resource error ?

From: Anselm Baird-Smith <abaird@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 08:41:12 +0500
To: Rolande Kendal <kendal@interlog.com>
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org

Rolande Kendal writes:
 > I'm trying to do a post method to the Jigsaw server. I have a Resource that just
 > echos what I post. The applet code is as follows:
 >
 >         try {
 >             u = new URL( file );
 >             uc = u.openConnection();
 >             os = uc.getOutputStream();
 >  dis = new DataInputStream( uc.getInputStream() );
 >
 > After waiting some time for something to happen, the last line above causes
 > an error.

Just a few hints: are you sure you flush'ed the output stream before
waiting for the reply ? Did you closed it afterward ? Are you sure
Jigsaw gets the POST'ed data (run jigsaw in trace mode to be sure).

 > My Applet reports the following:
 > Error: 245 java.net.SocketException: Unexpected EOF
 >
 > Jigsaw dumps the following:
 > w3c.jigsaw.http.HTTPParserExcepion: IOError while parsing request: recv
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.HTTPParser.getRequest<HTTPParse.java>
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.getNextRequest<Client.java>
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.loop<Client.java>
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Client.runConnection<Client.java>
 >         at w3c.jigsaw.http.Clinet.run<Client.java>
 >         at java.lang.Thread.run<Thread.java:294>

It looks like the client side closes the connection to early...Are you
sure you send a valid content-length header ?

Anselm.