Strange Jigsaw Behaviour under Win95...¿Other plataforms?

From: Anselm Baird-Smith <abaird@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 08:45:32 +0500
To: nexus@adv.es
Cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
nexus@adv.es writes:
 > Yet Another Supposed Alpha Bug Report [YASABR] continues!
 >
 > Anselm wrote:
 >
 > > I assume the request to /User/Reference/... is the one that blocks
 > > Netscape.
 >
 > What blocks Netsie is *not* User/Reference/somefile . The Lock comes
 > when you ar working on some URL and suddenly change to another URL ended
 > with a slash (instead of Overview.html), or one that *should* end with.

Might be a problem with redirection, which Jigsaw uses to convert the
with-no-slash URL to with-a-slash-url. Eg if you ask for /User, Jigsaw
will first redirect the browser to /User/ .

 > > From Jigsaw perspective, it looks as if the document has
 > > been sent back entirely (or an not-modified), and that the client has
 > > then closed the connection. This can easily be checked by looking at
 > > the log file for the given transaction (it well tell you if the file
 > > was sent back, or what was sent back, if anything).
 >
 > Sorry for this little course on httpd configuration. I looked at the
 > logs before the previous posting; but I found them a bit hard (specially
 > /xxxx/logs/errlog: I don't understand a word).
 >
 > I've tried to recover http://127.0.0.1/User/Tutorials and /Uset/api; but
 > it doesn't show anywere (should be the latest entries on
 > /Jigsaw/Jigsaw/logs). I think nothing was sent to the client agent; and
 > it spins arround waiting for a response.

There is a bug in netscape 2.0 and keep alive connections. When Jigsaw
emits an error, Netscape (<= 2.x hangs badly). If you're using 2.0 you
might consider upgrading to 3.0 (which is better anyway), or turn the
Jigsw keep-alive flag to false.

 > > BTW, I have noticed strange thing when using localhost on Win95 with
 > > Netscape & Jigsaw. Try using 127.0.0.1 instead (just to see if you get
 > > the same problem...)
 >
 > Thank you for the advice., but 127.0.0.1 doesn't seem to work.

Oops, sorry it doesn't work with Netscape, it does work with IE. Is
your problem netscape specific ? Have your tried another browser ? If
all this fails, can you send me a scenario that makes the server hang
(starting from scratch - eg just after you start Jigsaw). I have a
Win95 box handy...

Anselm.