Re: Styling vertical text, initial article and interactive tests

> On May 26, 2015, at 12:55 PM, cowan@ccil.org wrote:
>
> Elizabeth J. Pyatt scripsit:
>
>> Will this page be looking at the Irish Ogham as test cases?
>> There are some archival projects on the Web where having accurate
>> representation in a vertical format in Unicode could be beneficial.
>
> Ogham is normally transcribed (or written on a MS ab origine) like
> Latin: horizontal and left-to-right.  For that matter, when Latin
> is inscribed on a monumental arch, it too is written bottom to top,
> then horizontally, then top to bottom, with appropriate letter
> rotation.

But most original Ogham “documents” are the stone monuments in which the text is written vertically. There could be use cases where it would be recommended to record the text of the stones in their original orientation.

There is little evidence I am aware of that Irish monks ever used Ogham in a horizontal fashion in other types of documents.
Examples of Ogham I have seen written horizontally are explanations of the Ogham symbols, not actual writing in Ogham. I’m sure it was and has been convenient to write Ogham horizontally, but it’s also been convenient to write the CJK scripts horizontally in digital documents.

Hope this makes sense.

Elizabeth

> --
> John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
> And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled,
> maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous
> flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the
> detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and
> absurdly the gigantic tenebrous ultimate gods --the blind, voiceless,
> mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep. (Lovecraft)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology