Re: Styling vertical text, initial article and interactive tests

On 26/05/2015 17:55, cowan@ccil.org wrote:
> Elizabeth J. Pyatt scripsit:
>
>> Will this page be looking at the Irish Ogham as test cases?
>> There are some archival projects on the Web where having accurate
>> representation in a vertical format in Unicode could be beneficial.
>
> Ogham is normally transcribed (or written on a MS ab origine) like
> Latin: horizontal and left-to-right.  For that matter, when Latin
> is inscribed on a monumental arch, it too is written bottom to top,
> then horizontally, then top to bottom, with appropriate letter
> rotation.

yes, that was my understanding too.  Not just on arches, but stone
inscriptions too.  The present article will focus specifically on CJKM,
though i suspect that one may be able to glean information on how to
address Latin and Ogham verticality quite easily while reading it.

> Richard:  It seems to me that the main use of sideways-left is when
> you want non-vertical text to appear vertically bottom-up, as on the
> spine of a German book, an arch as described above, or a caption
> placed to the left of a table (often in a column that spans all the
> rows).  A right-side caption, per contra, needs to be written
> top-down and sideways-right.

yes, thanks, John. I don't really have any difficulty with the
sideways-right and sideways-left values. It's just the alternative
sideways value that i haven't yet fully understood the use case for.

cheers,
ri