W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-10-02

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:08:08 +0100
Message-ID: <543EA9F8.1010704@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 Oct 2014

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Richard, DTan, Leandro, John, Steve, David, matial, koji

    Regrets
           addison

    Chair
           richard

    Scribe
           Leandro

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Action Items
          2. [5]Info Share
          3. [6]Intent to Implement: Form controls respecting
             |lang| attribute value
          4. [7]Chinese font-family defaults
      * [8]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Action Items

    <r12a> [9]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

       [9] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <r12a> close action-345

    <trackbot> Closed action-345.

    <r12a> close action-347

    <trackbot> Closed action-347.

    JcK: question about action-346, please be very specific about
    what they objections are

    <r12a> ACTION: richard to clarify action 346 [recorded in
    [10]http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-348 - Clarify action 346 [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2014-10-09].

Info Share

    Steve Atkin from IBM on the call, welcome

    Chief G11n architect at IBM, 20yrs there; involved with
    cloud/mobile computing, interested in Arabic language/script

    <matial> Hello, Steve!

    <r12a>
    [11]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_
    on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks

      [11] 
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks

    <r12a>
    [12]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/html-bidi-requirements
    /

      [12] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/html-bidi-requirements/

    <r12a>
    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_
    on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks#Bidirectional_text_direction

      [13] 
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks#Bidirectional_text_direction

Intent to Implement: Form controls respecting |lang| attribute value

    <r12a>
    [14]https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blin
    k-dev/QpEoCwU0Ttg

      [14] 
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/QpEoCwU0Ttg

    Richard: folks want to localize form controls, e.g. default
    text for submit button should match page language, rather than
    OS language
    ... question from Anne: what if the author wants the OS to
    provide the information?
    ... current proposal is to give highest priority is language
    declared in source code, then browser language, then OS
    language

    Koji's concern: content of form controls should belong to
    users, rather than authors

    JcK: reader's preference should prevail

    <JcK> (only if one can accurately determine the reader's
    preference and it doesn't conflict with other things. This is
    complicated)

    Steve: how do I know what the fallback language is?

    Richard: we need to work out through all the scenarios

    <koji>
    [15]https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/Qp
    EoCwU0Ttg/YR1xM5ck9vgJ

      [15] 
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/QpEoCwU0Ttg/YR1xM5ck9vgJ

    Richard: we need Addison to get involved in this discussion

    <r12a> ACTION: richard to put together framework for
    wiki/document discussing issues and proposals for handling
    locale of form widgets [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-349 - Put together framework for
    wiki/document discussing issues and proposals for handling
    locale of form widgets [on Richard Ishida - due 2014-10-09].

Chinese font-family defaults

    <r12a>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Chinese_font_families

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Chinese_font_families

    TPAC conference: if you haven't already done so, please try and
    register today... prices are going up

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: richard to clarify action 346 [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard to put together framework for
    wiki/document discussing issues and proposals for handling
    locale of form widgets [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 15 October 2014 17:08:37 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:38 UTC