RE: I18N-ISSUE-240: Bad example: Hard-coded coordinates [ITS-20]

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 06:12:20 -0700
To: "'Internationalization Working Group'" <public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org>
CC: <www-international@w3.org>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#motivation-its-issues
> Example 2 contains data that is highly inappropriate for an internationalized
> application: Hard-coded coordinates for user interface elements.
> Such coordinates would have to be changed during localization to accommodate
> strings that expand or shrink during translation, larger or smaller fonts
> used for a localized user interface, expansion or shrinkage in surrounding
> content, or a change in the overall directionality of the user interface.
> These items should be removed from the example.

The example is meant to show real-life problematic files, not to demonstrate best practices.

This said, today's UI do a better job of auto-resizing, so we could update the example to reflect that.
For instance, replacing elements like:

<data type="coordinates">12,20,50,14</data>

by something like:

<data type="position">12,20</data>

Thanks for pointing this out.
-yves