Re: Results of CSS case-sensitivity discussion at TPAC [I18N-ACTION-157]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:04:55 +0100
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com> wrote:
> Let me know if you would like to discuss.

I think this is overkill. The whole platform apart from JavaScript
uses ASCII case-insensitivity, largely for historical reasons
(code-point-for-code-point would be preferable). There's no reason to
invoke complex algorithms to compare CSS identifiers as long as they
are not necessitated elsewhere.

I can see how this recommendation makes sense from an i18n
perspective, but if you look at the platform holistically it does not
seem needed and would in fact make the platform more inconsistent and
less predictable.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/