Re: I18N-ISSUE-193: define when escapes are evaluated [TURTLE]

From: Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:34:46 -0700
To: Internationalization Core Working Group <www-international@w3.org>, public-rdf-comments@w3.org
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Internationalization Core Working
Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
> I18N-ISSUE-193: define when escapes are evaluated [TURTLE]
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/193
>
> Raised by: Norbert Lindenberg
> On product: TURTLE
>
> http://www.w3.org/2012/08/15-i18n-minutes.html
>
> Section 6.4, both forms of Unicode escape sequence: The spec doesn't say at what stage the escape sequences are converted to their corresponding characters. Can \u0022 start or end a string literal (as it does in, for example, Java)?

No. Escape sequences occur inside literals. There is a table in 6.4
showing when they can be used. The normative processing requirements
for when things are escaped are expressed in 7.2 RDF Term Constructors
for example:

STRING_LITERAL_SINGLE_QUOTE 	lexical form	The characters between the
outermost "'"s are unescaped┬╣ to form the unicode string of a lexical
form.

and the footnote to that table:

┬╣ section 6.4 Escape Sequences defines a mapping from escaped unicode
strings to unicode strings. The following lexical tokens are unescaped
to produce unicode strings: IRIREF, STRING_LITERAL_SINGLE_QUOTE,
STRING_LITERAL_QUOTE, STRING_LITERAL_LONG_SINGLE_QUOTE and
STRING_LITERAL_LONG_QUOTE .

Perhaps some additional language could be used in the 6.4 section
introducing escapes rather then relying on interpretation of the
table.

> Appendix B implies that escapes are replaced with their character equivalents before document processing, but it doesn't appear to say that explicitly anywhere.

Appendix B may not be clear enough in it's Encoding considerations:
section. It may also simply be using old language. Thanks!