Re: Shaping characters in upright orientation in vertical text flow

On 1/16/2012 8:37 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> Koji Ishii scripsit:
>
>> Currently, the spec states "Shaping characters from such scripts are
>> shaped in their isolated forms." This is primarily from fantasai's
>> investigations.
> That's what I would expect to see in handwritten Latin glyphs written
> vertically -- the isolated form would be used, with no connections to
> the logically adjacnent glyphs.  Shaping, after all, is about physical
> adjacency, not logical.

The larger question is whether such vertical mode makes sense...

Ideally, you'd want two orientation settings here. "upright if it
doesn't lead to loss or readability" and "force upright at any cost".
Then style settings could be overridden effectively by cursive fonts and
shaping scripts.

Ideally...

A./